Welcome to the Hancock and Whitney Bank Economic Update. The Investments team provides monthly updates as an informational resource for clients and individuals who are interested in hearing our perspectives on current economic issues.
Here's what we cover on this month's call:
- The second quarter GDP came in at 2.6%, which is in line with what was expected. John Portwood dissects this number and gives us an outlook on how things look for the remainder of the year.
- Most are aware of the dysfunction in Washington when it comes to healthcare legislation. America is in a tough spot with no clear direction, and Jeff Tanguis discusses where we go from here.
- It appears that Congress may be pivoting its main focus from healthcare to tax reform. Richard Chauvin talks about the tax reform plan and who it will favor.
- Concern grows over international crisis and the unknown future. Jeff Tanguis talks about Washington’s role and what it means for the global economy.
- The stock market continues to hit all-time high numbers, and seems relatively unfazed by the instability of the world’s powers. In July, the ACWI was up 3.7%; S&P 500 was up 2.1%; and the Russell 2000 was positive at 0.7%. Greg Hodlewsky reviews last month’s numbers and discusses why the market is remaining stable.
Click the "play" arrow below to listen to the recorded session and learn more:
A historical library of previous calls is available.
The information, views, opinions, and positions expressed by the author(s), presenter(s) and/or presented in the article are those of the author or individual who made the statement and do not necessarily reflect the policies, views, opinions, and positions of Whitney Bank. Whitney Bank makes no representations as to the accuracy, completeness, timeliness, suitability, or validity of any information presented. This information is general in nature and is provided for educational purposes only. Information provided and statements made should not be relied on or interpreted as accounting, financial planning, investment, legal, or tax advice. Whitney Bank encourages you to consult a professional for advice applicable to your specific situation.
Investment and Insurance Products:
|NO BANK GUARANTEE||NOT A DEPOSIT||MAY LOSE VALUE||NOT FDIC INSURED|
|NOT INSURED BY ANY FEDERAL GOVERNMENT AGENCY|